Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Arrival

So, continuing from the pregnancy story, went to the women's evaluation thinking we had a bladder infection - turns out there was no UTI; they said it could be dryness or irritation so they'd check with my OB on what to try. My contractions were 4 or so minutes apart but Friday's non-stress test had them at 6 minutes apart so no real change there and still about 2cm dilated. At least the girls had turned and were now head down. Well, as we're waiting, the contraction strength started to pick up, and a new cervical check then showed 3cm so a bit of a shock to me, the nurse comes back and said that she spoke to my doctor and it's baby time. Of course I start going "wait, wait, so not ready for this" and trying to see if the contractions were to stop I could go home right?

So off to L&D - my dr. came in and said they'd see what overnight brought - if the contractions kept up they'd break the waters in the morning. If they stopped then yes I could go home but she didn't think that would happen. She had been out that past whole week (so this was her first day back) and was very shocked in a good way that now we had two vertex babies. Got hooked up to an IV and antibiotics since my Group-B test results weren't back and hubby and I spent the night. (no sleep whatsoever. IV backed up a few times, had to reposition monitors, fun stuff)

Morning - 7:30 contractions still going on - up to 4cm or so, my doctor came in and broke the water. (I'm pretty much still in denial at this point ) Next few hours we waited around, watched the monitor for fun. Started throwing up too. I was scheduled for an epidural (more so if a c-section became necessary then I wouldn't have to get general) and with an issue in my lower back, they said better to get that done sooner vs too late in case it took a few tries. So by 6cm? or so (the whole day is a bit foggy) got the epi (took 2 tries, fine.....) I was still throwing up so got some Zofran. Around 1 or so had a reaction to something and itchy all over so then got benadryll to stop that. It worked for the reaction but I became way sleepy and slept off and on for the next hour so in hindsight, I was very glad we didn't have to do much right then. At 2pm cervix was fully gone so labored down for an hour. At 3, still in the L&D room, the nurse showed me the general position and procedure for pushing with the contraction and we did that a few times waiting for my doctor. Once she showed up it was time to go to the OR.

well the OR had 13 or so people in there which was a bit overwhelming. Sort of a hospital policy that you deliver twins in the OR in case anything goes wrong. So much for a nice quiet delivery. Started pushing and I knew at least that my main goal was to avoid a c-section so I kept asking if there were problems as we went along. After awhile my doctor said would need to do an episiotomy (tailbone issue) which I didn't want but again, really didn't want a c-section and baby B's heartrate was being watched very closely. At one point my doctor mentioned the contractions were not productive enough and starting pitocin but I'm not sure if they did or that was discussed; again I was pretty out of it / surreal state of mind. I was coughing a bit at the end of each one which she said actually helped too so I could keep coughing if I wanted. Finally baby A (Allie) came out, 43 minutes after we came into the OR. Next, I barely get the words "feel nauseous again" and start throwing up all over the place - ick green bile stuff - fun! Well about 6 times throwing up and I hear that Baby B (Audrey) is out. I didn't know it at that time (too busy vomiting) but her heartrate dropped so the doctor used the vacuum to get her out quickly. So 43 minutes for one baby, 2 minutes for the other.

The hubby was over with the babies. I got a gown change and taken back to our L&D room and they brought the girls to us, which again was a bit of a reality shock to me "they're actually here" (also I still felt horrible.) Had a slight fever for a bit till that evening but finally stopped throwing up. Besides Audrey gagging just a bit and a hip ultrasound for Allie, they were both perfectly fine and went home with me two (extremely short) days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment